Wills & Probate - Overview
‘All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances…’
So begins Shakespeare’s 'Seven Ages of Man'.
Devereux & Co’s Wills and Probate department is also concerned with Man in all his Ages. People often come and see us when something significant happens: when they are flying off on holiday; when they get married or have children; when they have reason to worry about the future or when someone dies.
- Why make a Will? One reason is to ensure proper provision is made for your children or grandchildren.
- As an adult, you are never too young to make a Will and you are likely to be worth more dead than alive!. If you are about to go on a gap year or work abroad you should make a Power of Attorney before you leave.
- If you have a partner it may be very important that you make a Will. See our notes on What if I don’t leave a Will? and How to make a Will. We can explain to you the legal implications of remaining single and of Joint Ownership.
- Prime of your Life:
- Nothing much can go wrong can it? Sometimes it does. Now is also the time to make sure your parents have their affairs in order. Do they have a Lasting Power of Attorney. What might it mean for you if their affairs end up in The Court of Protection?
- Middle Age:
- Now is the time to make sure your own affairs are in order. Come and have a chat with us and review what you already have in place. We will have Some Ideas for the Future.
- A time of many changes. It is still not too late to act on Some Ideas for the Future. Maybe you need to consider Funding Elderly Care. This is the time of their lives when people definitely need to know How to Make a Will and about Lasting Powers of Attorney.
- Golden Years:
- We hope you now have everything in place to enjoy your sunset years without worrying what happens when you become infirm or when you die; and when that time comes we can help your family Obtaining a Grant of Probate and Administering an Estate.
Read the full text of William Shakespeare’s All the World’s a Stage .